Kate has worked within Shoosmiths diversity and inclusion team since July 2018. As a diversity, inclusion and wellbeing specialist her remit includes:
- supporting the development of the firm's diversity and inclusion strategy;
- implementing key projects and initiatives that promote diversity, inclusion and wellbeing across the firm and for our clients and local communities;
- undertaking diversity analysis of internal activities to identify areas for progression (such as the application of policies and procedures and employee engagement survey results);
- collaborating with the HR, Corporate Responsibility and Learning & Development teams on priorities such as mental health, social mobility and career progression;
- overseeing the firm’s employee networks and working groups (including the LGBT+, BAME and Mental Health and Wellbeing Champion networks), supporting them with subject matter expertise and advice to develop and implement action plans;
- developing relationships with key professional bodies in the field of diversity and inclusion (e.g. The Law Society);
- establishing partnerships with external charters and accreditations;
- carrying out diversity benchmarking exercises (such as the Social Mobility Foundation Employer Index);
- tracking diversity and inclusion metrics (including Gender and Ethnicity Pay Gap data);
- external award submissions; and
- managing the content of the diversity, inclusion and wellbeing intranet pages.
Kate was a qualified employment lawyer for 3 years before moving into HR and specialising in diversity, inclusion and wellbeing. Her background provides her with an unique perspective to the role and an extensive knowledge and practical understanding of equality legislation.