Kath is an experienced litigator with expertise in all of the following dispute areas: commercial contracts (supply/service/projects); company/shareholder; joint venture; partnership; post employment High Court claims (restrictive covenants/confidential information); defamation; harassment; privacy; claims post-business sale (warranty/earn-out etc) and professional negligence. Also: commercial fraud, applications for urgent injunctive relief and conducting internal investigations.
She is experienced in all aspects of civil Court process, alongside commercial arbitration, expert determination, mediation and negotiation. Kath regularly advises our clients pre-dispute, in relation to contractual interpretation, rights, obligations and positioning correspondence together with the risk assessment of potential claims.
Kath is also an experienced defamation and reputation management lawyer, with emphasis on advising our clients when faced with issues that might attract negative publicity/press coverage or cause damage to reputation including campaign activity, internal crisis and investigative journalism. She can assist with internal investigations, internal and external communications, press responses etc, often acting in conjunction with PR agencies.
Some recent examples of Kath’s work include:
- acting for (and eventually settling at mediation) a listed company operating in the financial services sector in a significant commercial court breach of contract claim against a major high street retailer
- acting for a client following the theft of trade secret recipes by an ex-employee, including making an application for urgent injunctive relief, executing a search and seize order to secure evidence and subsequent conduct of substantive High Court proceedings, leading to settlement;
- defending, across two separate cases, individuals alleged to have breach confidence/misused confidential information, post-employment involving substantive high court action/applications for injunctive relief
- guiding a University client involved in a reputational crisis including adverse media stories and related campaign activity by two individuals; assisting with high level response strategy and drafting internal and external crisis comms, responses to press enquiries and correspondence to third party stakeholders;
- obtaining for the same client an anti-trespass injunction against a third party
- acting for a group of sellers in defence of a significant warranty claim following the sale of a group of companies; and
- helping a number of our clients to deal with campaign activity in various guises and in relation to on-line content (including procuring website takedowns).
Kath qualified as a lawyer in 1993 with Eversheds LLP, before joining Shoosmiths as a Partner in 2013.