Kevin is the head of Shoosmiths' London and Thames Valley Employment Team and has over 20 years of experience in providing legal support to HR teams.
Kevin has extensive UK and international experience and regularly advises clients on HR issues arising from complex organisational and structural changes including collective redundancies as well as on the sale and acquisition of businesses. Kevin also handles senior executive appointments and dismissals and frequently represents clients in high profile cases representing both employers and employees.
Kevin trained and qualified as a barrister and spent three years at the Bar. He has considerable contentious employment law experience, including appearances at the Employment Appeal Tribunal and higher courts. Kevin regularly represents clients in employment tribunal proceedings dealing with issues ranging from unfair dismissal and redundancy to lengthy and complex discrimination cases.
Examples of his recent work include:-
- acting in the well-publicised case of Elaine Day against HRH The Prince of Wales;
- defending the highest value (£1.5 million) gender reassignment case brought by Jessica Bussart;
- advising a BBC production company on its relocation to Media City, Salford;
- the highly publicised dispute between Mr Rollerson and Fujitsu Limited concerning alleged comments made about the implementation of the Government’s National Heath Service Database;
- representing a major political party on positive discrimination in favour of female political candidates;
- advising an asset management company on restraint of trade implications following a recent recruitment;
- advising an employee of the BBC in relation to the employee's level of pay;
- advising a utilities company on a sensitive harassment claim lodged against a senior member of management; and
- advising an asset management company on the termination of senior executives.
Kevin regularly provides in-house training on employment law/practices/procedures to clients/HR managers and lectured at Cardiff Law School, the University of Wales. He also appeared on Legal Network Television. Kevin co-authored the Tolleys and Butterworths books: “Termination of Employment”, “Employment Law” and “Working Time”. He also edited Croners' “Employment Law and the European Union” and was appointed to their editorial board.
Kevin qualified at Clifford Chance and worked at Eversheds before joining Shoosmiths as a partner in 2002.
Kevin is ranked as "Leading Lawyer" and "Highly Recommended" in the Legal 500 and "Tier 1" in Chambers. He has been added to the Legal 500 Hall of Fame and has been recognized by Acritas as a leading HR lawyer.