Laura is an Associate in the Commercial team at Shoosmiths with a focus on privacy and data matters. Laura is a dual-qualified lawyer having trained and practiced in the United States for eight years before qualifying as a solicitor in England and Wales. Having done both contentious and non-contentious work, Laura’s diverse background is one of her strongest assets making her an exceptionally adaptable and well-rounded lawyer.
Laura spent several years working as a US criminal prosecutor before moving into private practice where she litigated both criminal and civil matters. During her time as a US trial litigator, Laura handled extremely complex and serious felony cases where she negotiated plea agreements and conducted jury trials. Laura became extremely adept at evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of cases and was responsible for presenting the merits of a case to other stakeholders.
Upon transitioning her career to the UK, Laura worked in-house for a highly successful national UK company operating in a technology driven, data intensive setting where data protection and industry specific regulatory issues were vital to the business. Whilst working in-house, Laura developed a passion for data protection and a keen commercial awareness that enables her to provide truly focused and pragmatic advice.
Examples of Laura’s work include:
- Advising a multi-national company on compliance with Global Privacy laws.
- Managing and advising on complex data mapping and Data Subject Right’s Request on behalf of global clients.
- Managing a data protection gap analysis project and advising a UK company on compliance with EU and UK Privacy laws, including drafting Data Protection Impact Assessments and other necessary data protection policies and procedures.
- Supporting and advising on corporate due diligence projects from a data protection perspective for a range of global clients across different sectors.
- Managing and advising on data breaches for a UK company, including liaising with relevant supervisory authority.
- Drafting and advising on commercial contracts and bespoke offerings for a UK company.
- Acting on behalf of a US corporate manufacturing client during an investigation for potential violations of environmental regulations.
- Managing and advising on investigations and court hearings in a range of US criminal matters, including representing key stakeholders during jury trials.
- Preparing and presenting capital felony cases to the Rhode Island State Grand Jury whilst serving as a legal advisor for the Grand Jurors to assist them in fulfilling their investigatory and charging duties.
- Participating in a major criminal appeal as the state representative.
2010 – Commonwealth of Massachusetts
2011 – State of Rhode Island
2019 – England and Wales