Marcus is a Senior Associate in our Southern Real Estate team. He is a specialist with a wealth of expertise and experience in investment portfolio sales and acquisitions and landlord and tenant lease and asset management.
Marcus’ experience includes:
- acting for some of the UK’s largest property investment funds including Scottish Widows, Aberdeen Asset Management and AEW;
- advising on large scale portfolio acquisitions and disposals and all aspects of corporate support transactions;
- advising a high-end retailer in relation to its retail and restaurant occupational portfolio throughout the UK; including advising in relation to a complex Agreement for Lease;
- advising US based global engineering company in relation to all aspects of its commercial property portfolio;
- acting for an anchor status letting in Birmingham, renewal of existing leases in Knightsbridge and Bristol and advising in relation to its Head Office relocation;
- advising one of the country’s leading corporate travel agencies in relation to its relocation programme and occupational lease portfolio in England and Wales;
- advising on all aspects of asset management for investment fund McKay Securities PLC;
- advising RBS, Natwest, Coutts and Direct Line in relation to the RBS Group’s property portfolio of in excess of 800 properties in relation to all aspects of freehold and leasehold acquisitions and disposals and day to day asset management of its property portfolio;
- advising a global fashion retailer on all aspects of its occupational property portfolio in England and Wales;
- advising one of the world’s largest technical, professional, and construction services companies in all aspects of its occupational leasehold portfolio in England and Wales; and
- advising a global technology company in relation to its property portfolio and assisting with the property aspects of its global restricting programme.
His most recent highlights include:
- complex lease restructuring and relocation programme involving anchor and other key tenants of a leading UK shopping centre;
- acting for local authority in relation to its £68 million acquisition of multi let office building as part of its commercial real estate acquisition programme;
- sale of large disused industrial factory in south wales to the Welsh Government for regeneration as a technical college. Transaction involved drafting negotiating and advising on complex overage and environmental provisions;
- acting for US Global Engineering company in relation to its sub letting of a flagship London property to a US Flexible Working company, involving multiple consents, high value capital contribution, escrow arrangements including complex payment and repayment mechanisms and alterations to the whole property;
- complex agreement for lease (involving the grant 11 leases and multiple variations to the existing patchwork lease structure), including development obligations to convert a large atrium area into lettable space on behalf of a global fashion retailer in respect of its central London landmark listed building; and
- sale of a large, single let, investment property in Hampshire.
Marcus joined Shoosmiths in December 2014 having previously worked at both CMS Cameron McKenna and Dundas Wilson in the City. From his time at Dundas & Wilson, Marcus has experience of managing cross-border (England - Scotland) real estate transactions.