Rachael is a Planning lawyer with over 8 years' experience, acting for both private and public sector clients on a wide range of matters, primarily within the housing and energy sectors, including:
- the drafting and negotiation of s.106 agreements and deeds of variation (including in relation to strategic sites);
- submitting appeals to the Secretary of State against the refusal or non-determination of planning applications;
- making applications to the High Court for judicial review and s.288 challenges;
- drafting and negotiating s.38/278 agreements and advising landowners and developers in relation to highways issues;
- advising developers and landowners in relation to permitted development rights and changes of use;
- advising in relation to applications for certificates of lawful use and development;
- assisting on applications for nationally significant infrastructure projects; and
- providing day to day support to the Real Estate Division, including on sale and acquisition and refinancing projects requiring planning due diligence.
Rachael is based in the Birmingham office and joined Shoosmiths in September 2021, having previously trained and worked at Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP. Rachael regularly attends local planning and development events, including Women in Planning events.