Rick is a specialist non-contentious construction lawyer and is dual qualified, having been formerly a Chartered Civil Engineer and Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers prior to qualifying as a solicitor in 2003. He has worked across a wide variety of sectors from PFI/PPP (where he lead the construction input into +£1BN of construction work), conventional development and investment work and infrastructure and energy and is experienced in drafting and advising on building and engineering contracts, as well as guarantees, bonds, professional appointments and related agreements.
Recent project experience includes:
- Advising developers and institutional funds on development funding agreements and the construction documents for major student accommodation projects
- Acting for an owner and developer of motorway service areas on new developments, such as the £70M Leeds Skelton Lake MSA, as well as routine portfolio improvements
- The FIDIC based civils and system contracts for the £150M mass passenger transport project atLondon Luton Airport
- The IChemE based EPC contract for a £160M waste to energy project in Hull and FIDIC based EPC contracts for miscellaneous biomass projects
- Universities int Lancaster, Brighton and Leeds on a variety of faculty developments and framework agreements.
- A national residential developer in relation to several apartment building projects of varying complexity (some with commercial space)
- NHS and Care Sector projects, including a £70M Emergency Care Centre in Northumbria, Extra Care projects for the public and private sector and care home projects for developers and funds
Rick joined from Addleshaw Goddard in October 2017 to head the Leeds construction team.