Robert is a charity lawyer guiding trustees on governance and regulatory issues, supporting charities in their work and at all stages of their journey: establishing new charities, incorporating existing organisations, advising on collaboration or merger issues and, where necessary, on dissolution.
He advises on the engagement of charities with the Charity Commission eg seeking necessary approvals and dealing with serious incident reporting and on charities' dealings with non-charities e.g trading subsidiaries, corporate partners, sponsors and commissioning bodies.
Recent experience includes:
- advising a national conservation charity on constitutional issues;
- undertaking governance reviews for the boards of trustees of a long-established cultural institution and of a charity working to turn around the lives of ex-offenders and the formerly homeless;
- creating corporate foundations for businesses looking to increase their charitable engagement;
- registering a new charity to support victims of terrorism; and
- training trustees and senior executive teams on charity governance issues.
Robert joined Shoosmiths in July 2020, having previously worked at Brabners LLP, Freeths LLP and the Government Legal Service.
He is a member of the Charity Law Association, of The Chartered Institute of Fundraising and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts.