Sam is an Associate in the Commercial Team, based in the Milton Keynes office.
Sam regularly advises clients, principally in the automotive and retail sectors, on a spectrum of commercial matters, including: IT and professional service contracts, software hosting arrangements, consumer sales terms and compliance processes, high-level data protection matters (mainly in the consumer space), as well as development and collaboration agreements.
Sam has spent time on secondment at a number of clients; both in the UK and, more recently, in Japan. Because of this, Sam has a fantastic understanding of the commercial drivers behind decision making and can provide tailored legal advice to fit every client and project, whether national or international.
Some of Sam's recent experience includes advising:
- Volkswagen UK on its partnership with Octopus Energy to encourage the uptake of electric vehicles and provide cost effective, clean energy to drivers;
- Nissan Motor Corporation on its global framework agreement with Uber, paving the way for the significant uptake of electric vehicles across one of the largest driver fleets in the world;
- INEOS Automotive on the set up of its global sales infrastructure, including drafting a cutting edge 17-page report on the future of mobility and routes to market;
- a global automotive manufacturer on a number of high-value software development, hosting, and licensing arrangements with Google, Microsoft, and others;
- a prominent micro-mobility company on its cross-border production arrangements and collaboration with a US electric vehicle manufacturer;
- one of the world's largest automotives on its partnership with a new and innovative
company that offers energy payment solutions to EV fleet operators;
- Reachora Limited on the establishment of a new, international medical content sharing platform - bringing together physicians, medical journals, organisations, and medical schools from around the world;
- a German automotive on its arrangements with converter companies, including establishing various accreditation schemes;
- Close Brothers on its procurement of numerous business critical IT software and cloud solutions; and
- several national and international retailers on their moves into e-commerce in the UK - drafting consumer sales terms and advising on the online 'customer journey' to fit each client's brand aims in a legally compliant way.
Sam is part of Shoosmiths' Future of Transport team - specialising in advising on cutting edge, new technologies and projects across the Mobility sector. You can find regular Future of Transport market commentary and updates from Sam on his LinkedIn.
Sam joined Shoosmiths as a trainee solicitor in 2017 and qualified into the Commercial Team in September 2019.
Prior to this, Sam read law at the University of Sheffield, also completing the Legal Practice Course there in 2017.