Sam is an Associate in the Commercial Team, based in the Milton Keynes office.
Sam regularly advises clients, principally in the automotive and retail sectors, on a spectrum of comercial matters, including: IT & professional service contracts, software hosting arrangements, consumer sales terms and compliance processes, high-level data protection matters (mainly in the consumer space), as well as development and collaboration agreements.
Sam has spent time on secondment at a number of clients; both in the UK and, more recently, in Japan. Because of this, Sam has a fantastic understanding of the commercial drivers behind decision making and can provide tailored legal advice to fit every client and project, whether national or international.
Some of Sam's recent experience includes:
- Providing advice to several UK retailers on their moves into online sales. Amongst other things, this has involved drafting consumer sales terms and advising on the online 'customer journey' to fit each client's brand aims in a legally compliant way.
- Advising on a number of high-value global software development, hosting, and licensing arrangements for one of the world's largest automotive manufacturers. This involved complex drafting, direct reporting to senior management, and negotiating favourable terms against a number of prominent tech companies.
- Supporting on a collaboration agreement between a clean energy provider and an automotive company to encourage the uptake of electric vehicles.
- Advising a market-entrant automotive on the set up of its global sales infrastructure including drafting a cutting edge 17-page report on the future of mobility and routes to market.
- Drafting a global framework agreement facilitating the collaboration between a global automotive manufacturer and ride-hailing service. The agreement paved the way for significant uptake of electric vehicles across one of the largest driver fleets in the world.
You can find regular market commentary’s and updates from Sam on his LinkedIn.
Sam joined Shoosmiths as a trainee solicitor in 2017 and qualified into the Commercial Team in September 2019.
Prior to this, Sam studied law at the University of Sheffield, completing the Legal Practice Course there also in 2017. During his time at University, Sam spent a year living and studying abroad - 6 months in Iceland and 6 months in Luxembourg.