Simon is an experienced employment specialist who works with both the private and public sector in relation to contentious and non-contentious work. He provides advice to a number of large commercial clients, many of whom are household names, on all aspects of employment law.
Simon has many years of experience working with private and public sector clients and is the main contact for employment work with a local university as well as other public sector organisations. Simon is the lead employment contact for a number of our automotive clients and is frequently referred to by these clients as the "go to" individual when drafting and negotiating their contractual TUPE provisions.
As a keen negotiator and pragmatist, Simon has achieved great success in bringing an end to claims which have little or no merit through a range of measures including an agreement to review a contentious policy, appropriate use of cost warnings and firm negotiation techniques. Simon is renowned for delivering advice in a straightforward and easy to understand manner and his down to earth approach puts clients and witnesses at ease.
His recent work includes:
- assisting various household names in the retail sector in connection with the developing law surrounding the coronavirus job-retention scheme;
- assisting a number of private sector organisations with multi-level redundancy and restructuring processes;
- the termination of senior executives following allegations of misconduct (including subsequent share issues and threatened high court litigation);
- wider ranging investigations, disciplinary processes and tribunal cases arising from alleged protected disclosures;
- pre-contract negotiations to TUPE (transfer of undertakings) clauses; and
- support to the corporate team with M&A work.
Simon writes and provides training sessions for clients on a range of subjects and is a regular speaker at Shoosmiths' national employment seminars.
Having qualified as a solicitor in 2002, Simon joined Shoosmiths in 2007, was promoted to Associate in May 2010, Senior Associate in May 2013 and Partner in May 2020.