Sophie is a real estate lawyer specialising in development and real estate finance.
Sophie advises on all stages of the development process including strategic land, forward funding of developments, acquisitions and disposals. Sophie is also involved in the management of existing leasehold properties within investors’ portfolios. In respect of real estate finance, Sophie regularly acts for commercial lenders on funding transactions and for borrowers in refinancing existing portfolios.
Sophie’s recent experience includes advising:
- a national developer on the £21m forward funding of an office headquarters involving procurement issues and potential rights of light claims;
- a national developer on the £14m forwarding funding of a logistics centre involving a bespoke funding agreement with a local airport to fund an upgrade to its distance measuring and instrument landing systems in order to procure the grant of planning permission;
- a national investment company on the acquisition and forward funding of a hotel development;
- a local developer on various strategic land acquisitions involving the negotiation of hybrid option and promotion agreements;
- a major UK lending institution on the refinance of a portfolio of commercial properties; and
- a national UK plc on all matters connected with the management of their English real estate portfolio, including a mixture of leasehold and freehold disposals.
Sophie qualified as a solicitor on 15 September 2014 and joined Shoosmiths’ real estate practice, having completed her training at Shakespeares.