Stephen leads a national team primarily focused on all aspects of consumer finance, FCA compliance and small and medium ticket asset finance and leasing. This includes a nationally recognised expertise in wholesale and retail motor finance, together with other niche lending and finance products.
Stephen also heads up Shoosmiths' national Financial Services sector.
Examples of recent work handled by Stephen includes advising:
- Santander Consumer (UK) Plc in relation to a UK joint venture with a major motor brand, allowing the retail and wholesale financing of motor vehicles through a network of over 120 dealers.
- A major international credit card provider in relation to the enhancement of its credit card programme, involving technical advice, drafting of revised credit agreements and advising on broader FCA compliance.
- Santander Consumer (UK) Plc in relation to a new employee car scheme, the first of its kind in the UK.
- AIB Group (UK) Limited in relation to the application of certain financial services regulations on a cross border basis with the Republic of Ireland.
- Creation Consumer Finance Limited t/a BNP Paribas Personal Finance in respect of its launch into the motor finance sector in the UK. This included all regulatory advice, together with strategic advice and document drafting.
- Thomas Cook Money in relation to its tie-up with a major international finance house, allowing customer enhanced payment options when acquiring holiday services from Thomas Cook.
Stephen has worked in the financial services sector throughout his career, and is a well known personality, being a regular speaker at trade events, and a trade press commentator. Stephen approaches this technically challenging - and potentially intimidating - sector with a view to simplification, and is known for his eye for detail.
Stephen is admitted in both Northern Ireland and England and Wales, and holds an LLb (Hons) Exempting with French Law from the University of Northumbria.