Stuart is a Partner in the Business Advisory Division and is the Head of the Secured and Commercial Recoveries Team. He advises lenders and commercial clients on a wide range of disputes and also has expertise in FCA Regulated lending.
The Recovery team's core business is the recovery of commercial debt, including debt secured against real property. the team acts for a wide range of lenders including banks, building societies, asset based lenders and other financial institutions. There is a particular focus on secured debt and insolvency.
Stuart also advises a range of clients dealing with commercial and contractual disputes; termination of contracts, distribution agreements and advice on shareholder and warranty claims and shareholder disputes.
Stuart’s particular expertise includes:
- advising lenders as to recovery and enforcement options;
- enforcement of mortgages, debentures and guarantees;
- advice with regards both personal and corporate insolvency, including the issue of Statutory Demands and Bankruptcy and Winding Up Petitions;
- appointment of Administrators and Receivers;
- pre-appointment advice including reviews of lender security;
- advice to LPA Receivers including advice upon validity of appointment and property-related disputes prior to sale;
- mortgage shortfall actions;
- professional negligence;
- equitable claims including declarations as to subrogation and undue influence.
Stuart joined Shoosmiths upon qualification in 1999 and was promoted to Partner in May 2007. Prior to qualification Stuart’s experience included working for a City law firm dealing with an Anglo-American product liability dispute, which included a secondment to a Manhattan law firm.