Marine & shipping finance
The marine and shipping finance team advises banks, financial institutions and private individuals on the financing of newly-delivered, under construction, and previously owned yachts, in Red Ensign territories and elsewhere.
We can provide you with advice on all aspects of a marine and shipping finance transaction, from ownership and finance structuring, to restructuring and recovery.
We offer expertise in dealing with complex issues in marine and shipping finance, including those relating to offshore ownership structures, and leasing schemes designed for tax mitigation.
We know how much a smooth transaction process matters to you, which is why we work hard to project manage your transaction from day one.
Our accessibility and responsiveness at every stage of the process is just one of the reasons why clients love working with us.
We have built relationships with lawyers in all the major offshore shipping jurisdictions, and who share our commitment and enthusiasm.
Our marine and shipping capabilities extend beyond financing, to sale and purchase, chartering, building and refit, sponsorship, crew, project management agreements, collision and salvage, and dispute resolution.
We are members of the British Marine and Superyacht UK, and our team members are active participants in the marine and shipping industry.
- advising the shareholders on a significant strategic investment into major South coast marina operator Dean and Reddyhoff Limited
- advising August Equity in relation to the £7,000,000 refinancing by a leading UK bank of the acquisition debt (originally financed by August Equity) of Safety and Survival Systems International (a marine safety company)
- drafting the marine mortgage, ancillary deed of covenants and personal and corporate guarantees to be granted in favour of a large asset finance provider
- acting for a lender in relation to five loan agreements totalling £11,500,000 in connection with the financing of a fleet of commercial support vessels. Drafting and assisting overseas counsel with the related marine mortgages and ancillary deeds of covenants across a number of jurisdictions, as well as drafting personal and corporate guarantees given in favour of the lender
- acting for a lender in relation to a loan agreement in connection with the financing of a pleasure yacht owned under a Maltese Leasing Scheme, as well as drafting a marine mortgage, ancillary deed of covenants, security assignment and guarantees and as assisting with the specific overseas and tax requirements that are usual in this type of structure
- acting for a lender drafting a loan agreement in connection with the £1,295,000 financing of a British flagged motor yacht, as well as drafting a marine mortgage, ancillary deed of covenants and guarantees and liaising with the borrower's Isle of Man-based managing agent
- drafting release documentation in connection with the sale of a Turks and Caicos flagged motor yacht and overseeing the security release process at the Turks and Caicos registry