Rail finance & leasing
"Shoosmiths are "real experts"."
Legal 500 2015 (Transport: Rail, London)
Our rail finance and leasing team has expertise built on involvement in the industry since privatisation, and understands the marketplace well.
It acts for a wide range of rail industry bodies, such as rolling stock manufacturers, leasing companies, and operators (passenger franchises and freight), plus a passenger transport executive.
We advise rail industry clients on a full range of sector services, including:
- procurement of new rolling stock (passenger stock, locomotives and wagons) and ticketing and gating equipment (including in connection with EU procurement legislation)
- manufacture and supply agreements for new fleets of rolling stock and ticketing and gating equipment
- PFI transactions, including availability and reliability agreements
- rail franchising
- finance and leasing of assets for use in the sector
- health and safety issues
- property and construction matters (including projects concerning level crossings and cutting infills)
- train services agreements
- advising Porterbrook Leasing Company Limited on rolling stock supply, and a manufacture and supply agreement relating to the construction of 32 Class 387 Bombardier Electrostar Vehicles for lease to First Greater Western Limited
- acting as the sole legal adviser to South Yorkshire Supertram (otherwise known as Stagecoach Supertram) on a pilot project for the Department for Transport for trialing a new fleet of Vossloh TramTrains on the South Yorkshire Supertram and on part of the Network Rail Heavy Rail Network between Sheffield and Rotherham
- acting as the sole external legal adviser to Hitachi Rail (the lead member of the Agility Trains consortium) on The Department for Transport's Intercity Express Programme project which has a total reported value in excess of £7 billion.
- advised Stagecoach South Western Trains Limited (SWT) on its procurement of a new fleet of Siemens Desiro City trains