"He is highly regarded for his expertise in leasing and rolling stock work. He attracts much praise for his sensible, thorough approach and impressively detailed understanding of the marketplace."
Our rail team has expertise built on involvement in the industry since privatisation and understands the marketplace well.
It acts for a wide spectrum of rail industry bodies such as rolling stock manufacturers, leasing companies and operators (passenger franchises and freight), and a passenger transport executive.
We advise rail industry clients on the full range of industry services, including:
- procurement of new rolling stock (passenger stock, locomotives and wagons) and ticketing and gating equipment (including in connection with EU procurement legislation)
- manufacture and supply agreements for new fleets of rolling stock and ticketing and gating equipment
- PFI transactions, including availability and reliability agreements
- rail franchising
- finance and leasing of assets for use in the sector
- health and safety issues
- property and construction matters (including projects concerning level crossings and cutting infills)
- engineering, maintenance and servicing agreements including train services agreements
- Being one of the main advisers to a lead consortium member appointed as the preferred bidder for the Department for Transport's PFI project to replace the UK's fleet of high speed trains (including advising in connection with the main availability and reliability project agreements, rolling stock manufacturing and supply agreements, train services agreement, the leases (including depot access conditions) and construction documents relating to various depots, agreements to connect the depots to the heavy rail network and asset protection agreements with Network Rail)
- Acting for a rolling stock leasing company in connection with the procurement of new fleets of rolling stock
- Acting for a rolling stock leasing company in connection with the leasing (including related servicing and maintenance arrangements) of fleets of rolling stock to the operators of several franchises, including the Southern and West Midlands franchises
- Acting for a train operating company group in connection with the procurement and leasing (including related servicing and maintenance arrangements) of fleets of rolling stock to various franchises operated by the group
- Acting for a freight operating company in connection with its bid to haul all the household waste for a waste PFI project
- Acting for a network operator in relation to various meetings with Railway Safety Standards Board, train operating companies, Passenger Focus and Rail Accident Investigation Board in respect of various safety campaigns