"[Angela Bowman] instills complete confidence in her clients, and is an iron fist in a velvet glove with the other side."
Angela Bowman has acted for leading national charities in connection with contested legacy work for the past 20 years.
She has a diploma in contentious trust and probate litigation and was named 'Contentious Solicitor of the Year' in the first year of the ACTAPS (Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists) Awards.
Angela leads our team of specialists dealing with contested legacy work on behalf of charities. The team deals with the full remit of claims against estates involving charity beneficiaries, including but not limited to:
- Claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975
- Challenges to the validity of wills, on the grounds of lack of testamentary capacity, want of knowledge and approval and/or undue influence
- Proprietary estoppel claims
- Applications for the rectification of wills, where there has been a clerical error or failure on the part of the draftsman to properly understand the testator's instructions
- Construction claims, where clauses in wills are ambiguous or otherwise difficult to interpret
- Applications to remove executors and trustees who are not properly fulfilling their legal obligations
- Applications for Inventory and Accounts against executors
- Professional negligence claims arising out of wills and trusts, where there has been negligence on the part of the firm involved.
We are seeing an increase in the number of claims involving wills and estates. Rising property values, complicated family arrangements, people living longer and an increase in the number of elderly people suffering from Alzheimer's and dementia-related illnesses have all contributed to the rising number of disputes.
Charities have to tread a fine line between upholding the wishes of testators/ testatrixes on the one hand and upholding their reputation in the eyes of the public on the other. Angela Bowman has been widely praised by charities for adopting a firm, but fair approach towards the resolution of charity legacy disputes. Angela and her team achieve excellent results on behalf of charities - crucially without damaging their reputation in the process.