Corporate restructuring & advisory
Excellent service and legal advice from a team specialising in corporate restructuring delivering an amazing client experience for major high street lenders, insolvency practitioners and companies in the UK.
Our team of skilled national corporate restructuring lawyers has a broad range of experience across the full spectrum of insolvency related matters, with specific recent experience in the retail sector in connection with company voluntary arrangements, including property issues, with particular emphasis on supporting insolvency practitioners, banks and asset based lenders.
We provide advice to company directors and businesses operating with financial difficulties, providing bespoke and innovative solutions.
As well as advising insolvency practitioners in connection with disposals of businesses out of administration, we also advise purchasers of such businesses, often structuring the transaction on our clients’ behalves to provide the most effective and risk-free way of incorporating a new business into their current corporate structure.
We recognise that in financially distressed scenarios our clients will need urgent practical advice, which is why we pride ourselves on our fast response times, offering constructive, commercial and clear advice in a straightforward manner, to provide solutions tailored to our clients’ objectives.
As well as specialising in non-contentious issues, we can also advise in relation to litigious matters, acting for insolvency practitioners and creditors in recovering funds through the use of corporate and insolvency legislation.
Recent team highlights includes:
- Capitalising on the team’s outstanding reputation as a leader in the field of retail CVAs by winning roles as advisers to a number of large, well known retail businesses going through this process. This successful year culminated with the team being shortlisted for National Corporate Restructuring team of the year at the national TRI (Turnaround Restructuring and Insolvency) Awards in London, with James Keates winning Corporate Restructuring Lawyer of the year at the same awards.
- Building on its reputation in the retail sector, and as a result of its widely recognised expertise and experience in advising in relation to CVAs, the team acted for SUK Retail Limited and SUK Oldco Limited, the companies trading as Office Outlet (the stationers formerly known as Staples), in connection with its 87 store CVA. The team also advised Regis UK Limited, trading as Regis and Supercuts, in connection with the successful implementation of its CVA over its 223 salon business. The team also advised in relation to CVAs for Select Fashion (183 stores), Aldo Shoes, and HJ Tenger Holdings Limited, a chain of Chinese restaurants.
- Demonstrating its expertise in the retail sector by acting for Karen Millen in its acquisition of certain of the business and assets of Coast from its administrators. The team’s commercial approach resulted in this transaction being completed in an extremely limited timescale and structured in a way as to potentially save Karen Millen a significant amount of cash in terms of liabilities moving forward.
- Advising Monarch Aircraft Engineering Limited, formerly part of the Monarch Airlines Group, in connection with its high profile and high value restructuring. This involved the restructuring of the company’s debt profile, negotiating standstill agreements with key creditors, advising in connection with the change of ownership of the company to take it outside of the insolvent Monarch group, and culminated in a rescue of the company via the implementation of a successful CVA.
- Advising Duff and Phelps Ltd, the administrators of ASA Resource Group Plc, an AIM listed holding company which has significant investments in offshore mining operations in Zimbabwe and the Democratic Republic of Congo, as well as advising RSM Restructuring and Advisory LLP in connection with the administration of Cyrus-RW Limited.
- The team has developed strong links with a number of distressed private equity investment houses, and has continued to build on its relationships with major high street lenders, and asset based lenders. These relationships have enabled the team to secure a number of instructions across the full range of restructuring and insolvency matters.