"Headed by the 'approachable' Simon Barnes, Shoosmiths' 'responsive, commercial and down-to-earth' team has 'excellent industry knowledge' and provides 'clear advice which helps steer the business'."
Legal 500 2017
Excellent service and legal advice from a team specialising in competition law delivering an amazing client experience for companies in the UK.
Our EU and competition law team is well-regarded for offering clear and commercially astute advice on the full range of competition law related matters.
Our services include day-to-day compliance, public procurement, state aid, merger control and handling investigations.
Businesses are increasingly aware of the competition law rules and their obligations to comply. This is particularly so in the UK, where we have one of the toughest competition law regimes in the world - with large fines and possible criminal sanctions for breaches.
We work closely with the business community to help them manage their obligations under the rules.
Our team comprises full-time specialist competition lawyers, trained in the City and Brussels. We are experienced in handling the full range of competition matters, from implementing bespoke compliance initiatives and addressing day-to-day compliance issues, through to handling dawn raids and acting on investigations by the competition authorities.
We recognise that our role as competition advisers involves much more than simply knowing the law. Rather, our role is to help businesses understand, in practical terms, what the rules mean to them.
We seek to understand clients' businesses and the markets in which they operate, enabling us to provide advice in a manner that is practical and relevant to their business.
- Advising Saint-Gobain Group in the UK on compliance issues, including annual training of several hundred customer-facing staff
- Advising Experian Plc on a range of merger control and compliance issues, including the Office of Fair Trading's study into car insurance information sharing
- Advising several of the main players in the white goods sector on compliance issues, including removal of the Domestic Electrical Goods Order
- Advising on a continual stream of public procurement challenges for bidders and buyers
- Advising various developers and public sector bodies on the State aid aspects of development agreements
- Advising Tradebe Environmental Services Ltd on merger law issues of the completed healthcare risk waste joint venture between Tradebe Environmental Services Ltd and Sita UK Limited resulting in Competition Commission clearance on 28th March 2014