"Shoosmiths LLP's 'response times are quick and its advice is always sensible'"
Legal 500, 2014
We are specialists in managing high volume caseloads of Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 lease renewals.
We know that 'one size does not fit all'. Whether managing a portfolio of hundreds of properties or occupying a single site, our years of experience allow us to provide a service designed to our client's individual needs.
We work with our clients to understand their commercial drivers and objectives, so that our procedures are appropriate and effective. We can quickly identify and reduce key areas of risk and cost. Supporting this approach, we have developed flexible fee structures and bespoke reporting mechanisms, meaning the lease renewal process is transparent and costs predictable.
- We operate robust key date protocols and proactively manage dates and court timetables, in recognition of the importance of critical date management in lease renewal work.
- We provide effective commercial and strategic advice on the merits of negotiating positions and using the statutory framework to gain tactical advantage.
- Working alongside our transactional colleagues to closely co-ordinate the progress of a court claim and the negotiation of a renewal lease.
- Advising on the impact of issues such as landlord insolvency and dilapidations.
- We also advise on and deal with opposed lease renewal applications and landlords' claims to terminate tenancies under the 1954 Act, adopting an appropriate strategy tailored to each case.
- We will not be distracted by the litigation, but will maintain a clear focus on your commercial strategy in order to deliver the right outcome.
- At any one time we are running in excess of 500 lease renewal cases, almost all of which are settled advantageously before trial.
- We recently acted for a major national retailer in securing continued occupation of a top performing outlet where the landlord opposed renewal.
- We have had numerous successes in deferring landlords' redevelopment break options in new leases to maximise uninterrupted occupation, including for another major retailer's top 20 store.