"This small but dynamic team is superb on every front"
The Legal 500
Whether you are a musician, producer, label, publisher, festival or music manager - the Shoosmiths creative industries team are here to help.
Members of our team have worked in the music industry and this provides us with a genuine understanding of the issues which you face day to day; enabling us to provide legal advice which is completely in tune with your requirements.
From help with protecting and enforcing your rights to assistance with music contracts you can be sure that our team of expert lawyers will hit the right note.
We help artists, management, producers and labels by drafting and negotiating management agreements, synchronisation agreements, publishing and recording agreements, band and partnership contracts, licensing agreements, producer contracts, merchandising agreements and sponsorship agreements.
We can also help with copyright infringement claims in the event that a third party has copied your music or used your recording without your consent. We specialise in acting in breach of contract claims; for example if a label has failed to account to an artist in accordance with the recording contract or in the event that an artist has breached their agreement with their management company.
Recent work includes:
- Advising on a high value merchandising agreement and sub-licence in respect of the use of certain trademarks pertaining to a world renowned band
- Advising the management company of a top 40 artist in respect of a breach of contract claim with the artist
- Advising a singer/songwriter in respect of a synchronisation licence with a film production company
- Advising and negotiating a high value settlement for a singer song writer in respect of a copyright infringement claim with a global band
- Advising a singer/songwriter on a publishing agreement with Crown Songs
- Advised a music festival in relation to its independent label on the terms of its distribution agreement with a major label
Our team of lawyers advise producers, managers, independent labels, musicians, singers, music festivals and recording studios. We regularly host and speak at music industry events; most recently with the Music Managers Forum, the BPI, PledgeMusic and FAC as well as some of the UK's leading music education establishments such as BIMM and Leeds College of Music.