Our national real estate team acts for private estates, individual landowners, commercial and residential developers, and tenants involved in the acquisition, disposal, use and/or occupation of agricultural landholdings.
A special knowledge of the legal regimes laid down by the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 and Agricultural Tenancies Act 1995 is required, and we have expertise in understanding the legislation.
We act for private and commercial clients on the sale and purchase of agricultural land and entitlements available under the Single Farm Payment Scheme, as well as the grant and surrender of Farm Business Tenancies and grazing licences.
We can also advise on water resource management/licence issues and internal drainage board and land drain issues that often arise in the context of the acquisition or sale of agricultural land.
In addition, we provide strategic and practical advice to developers on how to obtain vacant possession of agricultural land from tenants and the timing implications of the various protective legislative regimes.
- Acting for a landowner on the disposal of 1,000 acres of arable farm land in Laughton and entitlements for a sale price of circa £6m
- Acting for purchaser on acquisition of 250 acre site of arable land in Burton Latimer for £250,000, including the purchase of entitlements and the review of separate complex overage agreements and the provision of a further overage arrangement
- Advising developer seeking to enter into an option agreement over a large proposed mixed use site on the implications of various Agricultural Holdings and Farm Business Tenancy Agreements, and the ability to obtain vacant possession within a specific timeframe, plus potential obligations to pay statutory compensation to tenants
- Advising on succession rights arising in relation to Agricultural Holdings Act tenancies
- Acting regularly for various developer clients on entering into Farm Business Tenancies