1. If you have any concerns about either our service or our bills please raise them with the person handling your case, their supervisor or the client partner identified in our Terms of Engagement Letter.
2. We will acknowledge your complaint within 2 working days of receipt and confirm who will be investigating your concerns.
3. We will find out what happened, usually by reviewing the file and by talking to the person who acted for you. Sometimes as a result, we will need further information which may mean we need to telephone you or meet with you. We will tell you how long this will take which will take account of your personal circumstances.
4. We will conduct a thorough investigation, tell you what we have found out within the agreed timescale, and where appropriate, suggest a solution or remedy.
5. We hope that you will be satisfied with our conclusions but if we have not been able to resolve your complaint please contact our Chairperson, Peter Duff, at Shoosmiths, The Lakes, Northampton, NN4 7SH or by e mail to [email protected]. Peter will arrange a further review by a senior manager or partner not previously involved in the complaint. We will confirm who will investigate your complaint and how long the investigation will take. After fully investigating your complaint we will give you our final response and explain the reasons behind the decision.
England and Wales
6. If we are unable to resolve your complaint within 8 weeks of receiving full details, you may have the right to refer it to the Legal Ombudsman. This service is usually only available to members of the public, very small businesses, charities, clubs and trusts. You should refer your complaint within 6 months of our final response to you. Before accepting a complaint for investigation the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:
- Within six months of receiving a final response to your complaint and
- No more than six years from the date of act/omission; or
- No more than three years from when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.
If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman please contact them:
Call: 03005550333 between 9am to 5pm.
Email: [email protected]
Legal Ombudsman PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV19WJ
7. The Legal Ombudsman deals with service issues. If you are concerned about our conduct or behaviour rather than our service, your complaint should be addressed to the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
8. If we are unable to resolve your complaint, you may have the right to refer it to the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission (the 'SLCC'). You should raise your complaint with them within one year of the service ending or the conduct occurring.
Contact details for the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission (the 'SLCC') are:
The Stamp Office
10-14 Waterloo Place
0131 201 2130
9. Alternative approved complaints bodies such as ProMediate www.promediate.co.uk exist, which are competent to deal with complaints about legal services, if we both agree, but as you are able to use the services of either the Legal Ombudsman or the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission, we do not intend to use their scheme.
Shoosmiths (Northern Ireland) LLP
10. Please write to Mark Blair setting out your concerns. Your complaint will be investigated and a response provided within 28 days. If we are unable to resolve your complaint or the 28 days has elapsed without due cause, you have a right to complain to the Law Society of Northern Ireland.
You should raise your complaint with them within six months from completion of your business or within six months of you discovering a cause for concern, whichever is later.
Contact details for The Law Society of Northern Ireland are:
96 Victoria Street,
Customers of our lender clients subject to FCA complaints process
11. If you are a customer of one of our lender clients and you are unhappy with the way in which Shoosmiths has acted, please contact us on the telephone number at the top of our letter quoting our reference number. Alternatively, you can write to us at Shoosmiths, The Lakes, Northampton NN4 7SH, quoting the reference number from our letter.
12. Where possible, we aim to resolve all complaints by the close of business on the third business day following receipt of a complaint, however where further investigation is needed, we will acknowledge your complaint, by letter, within 5 business days and will provide you with a copy of our complaints procedure.
13. Where we have not been able to resolve your complaint within 28 days of receipt we will write to you advising you of the progress of the investigation into your complaint; in any event we will provide you with our final response within 8 weeks.
14. If, after we have issued our final response you are not happy with the outcome of our investigation, in certain circumstances you may be able to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Full details will be provided in our final response.
15. You should be aware that any referral to the Financial Ombudsman Service must be made within 6 months of the final response that we issue to you. Visit the Financial Ombudsman Service website on this link: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/
16. If you have any questions about how Shoosmiths processes your personal data please refer to our Privacy Notice. reference number. Alternatively you can write to us at Shoosmiths, The Lakes, Northampton NN4 7SH, quoting the reference number from our possible we aim to resolve all complaints by the close of business on the third business day following receipt of a complaint, however where further investigation is needed, we will acknowledge your complaint, by letter, within 5 business days and will provide you with a copy of our complaints procedure.