We are experts in arbitration
Our international arbitration team represents clients, and supports lawyers in other jurisdictions, in international arbitration proceedings under both English law and foreign law and in London and foreign seated arbitrations. We work with lawyers from jurisdictions all over the world (often, through our longstanding membership of the World Services Group, a multi-disciplinary professional services organisation, which brings together leading advisers in over 120 countries), to give our clients global coverage.
We specialise in high-value and complex commercial arbitration under the auspices of all major institutional and procedural rules including AAA, ARIAS, CRCICA, DIAC, ICC, LCIA, DIFC-LCIA, LMAA, SCC, SIAC and UNCITRAL. We also have significant expertise in ICSID arbitration and investor-state disputes.
We advise on the following:
- Arbitration agreements including arbitration rules, jurisdiction and choice of law
- All aspects of commercial and investor-state arbitral proceedings
- Structuring investments to benefit from treaty protections
- The enforcement of arbitral awards globally
- Obtaining interim measures and relief
Our lawyers have acted on some very significant commercial and investor-state arbitrations across sectors and jurisdictions.
- Acting for an African company in a claim originally estimated to be USD 500 million against a Chinese telecommunications network provider in two separate arbitrations under DIFC-LCIA rules and LCIA rules.
- Acting for a client in a multi-million dollar BVI IAC arbitration involving US, UK and African parties in a contract dispute concerning the construction and supply of large storage facilities.
- Acting for a world-leading UK software provider in a multi-million euro ICC arbitration against a French company relating to a software implementation dispute.
- Acting for a US Nasdaq listed technology company against a major American multinational corporation and technology company in a multi-million dollar UNCITRAL arbitration relating to wireless technology developed under a collaboration agreement.
- Acting in a four-party dispute against a multinational concerning the manufacture of engineering components for a generator for several off-shore oil rigs. The dispute started as an ICC arbitration, proceeding to the Technology and Construction Court in the UK.
- Acting for a civil engineering subcontractor in a multi-million pound arbitration under the CIArb rules against a major contractor concerning alleged construction defects in a number of tower blocks in the UK.
- Acting in a multi-million pound adjudication for a civil engineering package sub-contractor engaged in carrying out construction for a thermal power station in the UK against a major contractor.
- Acting on various reinsurance multi-million dollar arbitrations seated in Bermuda, New York and London, and ad hoc as well as those governed by institutional rules (notably ARIAS US).
- Acting for a pharmaceutical company in a multi-million dollar CRCICA arbitration against sellers of various nationalities in a share purchase agreement dispute.
- Acting for a well-known Middle Eastern retail name in a multi-million dollar CRCICA arbitration against a major real estate property owner in a commercial lease dispute.
- Acting for a foreign investor in a multi-million dollar ICSID arbitration against an African State under a bilateral treaty in a dispute concerning a large-scale energy project.
- Acting for an African State in a multi-million dollar ICSID arbitration brought by an American investor under a bilateral investment treaty.
- Advising a property tycoon in relation to an investor-state arbitration claim under a bilateral treaty.
International arbitration is part of Shoosmiths’ wider litigation offering. If you would like help finding the right team or lawyer please contact us on +44 (0)3700 863 000 or contact us by email to [email protected].