As a leading business law firm, Shoosmiths has a long track record acting for clients, and on matters, in both the Technology and Financial Services sectors. We are used to supporting businesses (including financial institutions and service providers) across the entire technology landscape and lifecycle.
As well as this grounding in the foundations of FinTech, we also have deep experience in those areas where it has wider real world application and impact -including Retail, Telecoms, Banking and Wealth Management, M&A, Investment, Trading and Mobility.
As FinTech has evolved, so have we. Our team of specialist lawyers have the expertise and experience needed to guide and support clients across the FinTech ecosystem - from solution providers, disruptors, and investors, through to businesses and institutions looking to procure new products and services or to partner and collaborate.
We understand the unique balance which those engaged with FinTech must strike between innovation, complex commercial and technical arrangements, and wide-ranging legal and regulatory requirements. We also appreciate that the pace of change and fierce competition make agility and speed to market key.
If you are a FinTech business, our team can help you (amongst other things):
- establish and run a suitable business structure;
- understand and navigate regulation (including Financial Services, Credit, Payments, Consumer and Data Protection rules);
- design products, services and customer journeys in a compliant manner;
- protect and commercialise new ideas, innovations, and brands;
- manage HR, employment, and work permit issues;
- create terms and conditions of use; and
- put in place strategic supply and partnership arrangements.
If you plan to use FinTech to grow and transform your business, we can assist you in assessing potential new partners or suppliers, in running procurements, and in negotiating new collaboration or procurement agreements.
Finally, if you are looking to seize the investment opportunity presented by FinTech we can help you raise finance and investments, enter into joint ventures or strategic partnerships, acquire or dispose of businesses and assets, and ultimately carry out listings.
We achieve this through a combination of industry knowledge and experience (gained by many of our team having worked in-house), and market-leading expertise in key areas including:
- Software and systems development and implementation;
- Infrastructure, cloud, and other technology and sourcing arrangements (including by regulated businesses);
- Payments and e-money, including Buy-Now-Pay-Later;
- Peer-to-peer lending;
- Automated trading, including AI and ML-led strategies, systems, products and services;
- Open banking and finance;
- Consumer finance;
- Litigation and disputes;
- Investigations and enforcement;
- White collar crime;
- On-boarding, KYC / AML;
- AI / machine learning, and automation;
- Crypto assets and tokenisation;
- Corporate governance; and
- Competition and anti-trust.
FinTech - at a glance
Download our FinTech guide including a selection of recent work highlights