Tech London Advocates (TLA) Scale Up Group hosted a virtual event with expert speakers, UK Tech on the World Stage, as a partner event for Scaleup Week: The Business Plan held on 18-20 May 2021.
A panel of international tech leaders shared insights and opinions regarding UK technology on the world stage, exploring the growth of UK digital businesses and what it takes for them to expand into overseas markets.
Panellists discussed how we support the UK’s fast-growth businesses in recovering for the pandemic and how the UK tech sector evolves with digital businesses that are achieving scale in the UK and how these businesses can scale up to go global in Europe, North America and beyond.
One of Britain’s leading entrepreneurs, Aron Gelbard, co-founder and CEO of Europe’s largest direct to consumer flower company, Bloom & Wild – gave a personal perspective on scaling an innovative company into overseas territories and what it takes to successfully expand a business from local to global with 160% growth.
Aron explained why and how Bloom & Wild expanded into France and Germany and how they mapped out the European market for their expansion including supply chain sourcing and talent acquisition, how they influence the European digital ecosystem in flowers, create a compelling offer for their investors and build their brand in a category that is perceived as a commodity, and where Bloom and Wild are thinking of expanding globally next and the method they use to invest in product quality.
James Klein, head of technology sector at law firm Shoosmiths provided insight on how companies can expand into the US, making use of the very vibrant networks within the tech ecosystem and the investor landscape, what UK companies need to consider when considering expanding to the USA and when looking to attract US investment, and why American investors are now looking towards the UK as well as areas of Europe to invest in high quality companies.
Watch the video below now to hear expert insights from:
- Aron Gelbard, CEO and co-founder, Bloom & Wild
- James Klein, Partner, Shoosmiths & Co-Chair, TLA Scale Up Group
- Janet Coyle, MD Business Growth, London & Partners & Co-Chair, TLA Scale Up Group
- Esther O’Callaghan OBE, Co-Founder, hundo.careers and Lead of Tech Netherlands Advocates
- Jaclyn Mason, Regional Director - Silicon Valley & Northwest US, DIT
- Lannie Medina, Co-MD, Rotate2Black Group and Tech Bay Area Advocates
- Miriam Ducke, Director Europe, London & Partners
- Russ Shaw, Founder, Tech London Advocates
- Suki Fuller, Founder, Analytical Storyteller & Member of TLA Advisory Board