Leading UK law firm Shoosmiths is celebrating five years since the opening of its Leeds office, as it continues its ambitious growth strategy.
Led by real estate partner Simon Meek, the West Yorkshire base has expanded exponentially in terms of client wins, deal volumes, and team hires. Since its launch in December 2016 with just seven members of staff, the office has grown to almost 100 people - attracting some of the region’s leading local talent. The office resides in state-of-the-art workspace at Platform, home to flexible working space and some of the city’s most disruptive and innovative firms.
Key clients include Morrisons, Sports Direct, Travelodge, LDC, Northedge, London Luton Airport, Torsion and Extra MSA.
Recent highlights include;
- Advising real estate fund manager Moorfield group on its £600 million partnership with Bricklane
- Handling the £500 million acquisition by Berkeley De Veer of Avant Homes, one of the UK’s leading residential property developers
- Acting for Wild Life Group Limited on its equity and debt raise by BGF and Lloyds Banking Group
- Supporting Euro Vital Pharma on the cross-border acquisition of European Vitamin and Supplement manufacturer Principle Healthcare group
- Leading Berlin Private Equity House, Capiton AG (via its investee company Fydec Holding SA – Dec Group) on its acquisition of Extract Technologies, a division of New York Stock Exchange listed Wabash National Corporation.
Such notable work has led to the firm’s recognition at various award ceremonies. This includes the office’s contribution to Shoosmiths’ win of Property Week RESI Law Firm of the Year award for the last two years in a row. The Leeds team has also been commended for its support within the local community, including;
- Volunteer work with ‘Pathways to Law’ with the University of Leeds, supporting A-level students from under-represented backgrounds interested in a law career
- Fund raising for the office’s nominated charity, Candlelighters, raising over £35,000 in two years, an impressive achievement given the majority of this time period was within COVID-19 imposed lockdown restrictions.
Simon Meek, Leeds head of office for Shoosmiths, said: “The firm’s five-year anniversary in Leeds is an important time to reflect on the sheer growth and impressive reputation that has been built within the city. Leeds isn’t short of lawyers, and I’m proud of our successes with the best talent forming our team – given our award-winning firm culture matched with an impressive client list. We deliver advice with a passion by partner led teams, with a real interest in the best outcome for our clients – alongside a commitment to our people and the wider community. We look forward to continuing to build this northern hub of expertise, growing our ambitious targets and brand reputation in this exciting market.”