After winning last year’s Shoosmiths Charity Auction Meal Juliette Peters agreed a date with in May 2018 with Head Chef Brian West and Waiter/Sommelier Stephen Johnstone. Juliette and Brian met up in March and soon agreed a menu.
Brian and Stephen headed down to Juliette’s fantastic home in Kent on a gloriously sunny Friday afternoon. The traffic on the M25 was unusually kind and even meant that the boys had time for a swift ale!! As ever, Brian donned the chef whites and Steve’s tuxedo got its yearly outing. Brian had already spent a couple of evenings sorting his mise en place so that the actual event should flow smoothly.
The guests arrived whilst Brian and Steve carried out the final prep. The delightful weather allowed for the sparkling rosé to be served in the garden with the Amuse Bouche. I have to say the Amuse Bouche was probably one of my finest bits of plate dressing and yet Sommelier Steve forgot to take a picture (this happens every year!!). The evening’s highlights included potted crab and delightful supreme of Chicken. Steve did his usual brilliant performance in balancing serving with washing up and also entertaining the guests. Steve ensured that the kitchen was lovely and clean(ish).
- Table bread – Rosemary Focaccia
- A vibrant Gazpacho Hispaniola served with a Mustard and Caraway Seed Cheese Straws, Parmesan Crisp and Salami Crisp.
- Potted Crab/Pork served with Toasted Bread, Pickles and Chutneys
- Supreme of Corn Fed Chicken served with a Tian of Roasted Vegetables and Brie topped with a Soft Baked Egg Crispy Bacon and wrapped in Parma Ham, Balsamic Roasted
- Tomatoes, Basil Oil, Cauliflower Espuma and accompanied with a White Wine Cream Sauce.
- Vodka Lemon Sorbet
- Classic Crème Brûlée and Apple & Pear Crumble with a hint of Ginger served with a Quenelle of Cream.
- Fresh Coffee and Petit Fours
Brian and Steve hope to be available for a meal in 2019 when the next silent auction is launched..
The Winning bid for the meal was £203 which all went to charity. A further £80 was paid by Juliette towards the cost of ingredients as well as covering travel expenses.
Brian and Steve have now been running this event for five years and always find it’s a great event.
Juliette commented ‘Brian and Steve, thank you so much for Friday evening. We had the most wonderful time, the food was beyond delicious and you both went out of your way to make it extra special for us.’