David acts for banks and other lenders in a variety of complex and high value disputes, often with a cross-border element, eg:
- a £40m dispute concerning ownership of an offshore trust, involving some 30 parties, which is the subject of parallel court proceedings in England and the British Virgin Islands
- an £85m arbitral claim for alleged breaches of a bilateral investment treaty
- a £1.5m finance brokerage dispute
- a £1.5m asset finance dispute, involving alleged breaches of statutory implied conditions about the quality of agricultural equipment
- a £0.5m invoice finance dispute between a bank and a local authority, concerning allegations of fraud against the bank’s customer
- various corporate and personal guarantee claims on behalf of banks, following their customers’ appointment of administrators
He has extensive experience, both in private practice and in-house, through two secondments with major UK banks, and heads the Aviation Finance Disputes practice.
After joining Shoosmiths from Addleshaw Goddard in 2016, David was one of the founding Partners of our Leeds office. He is our Leeds Corporate Responsibility Champion.