Gemma is an Associate in the Construction and Engineering Team and is based in the Birmingham office. Gemma advises developers, contractors, sub-contractors and other construction and engineering professionals across a broad range of contentious issues, including payment disputes, loss and expense claims, claims for defective workmanship and design, and professional negligence claims. She advises primarily in relation to dispute resolution including conducting mediations, adjudications and court proceedings. Gemma also has a background in insurance litigation and has experience in dealing in a range of disputes, including property damage related disputes.
Her recent experience includes:
- Assisting in advising a large retailer in respect of various issues arising out of an NEC3 form of contract with its contractor, including payment, compensation events, delay, defects and other third party claims.
- Advising and successfully representing a leading developer and manufacturer of 3D/4D simulation attractions and special effects cinemas in a high value adjudication dealing with a number of issues relating to payment, delays and extensions of time, and defects.
- Advising and successfully representing a medium sized contractor client in an adjudication commenced by its subcontractor relating to a final account dispute.
- Assisting in advising a developer in respect of allegations of professional negligence of its structural engineer relating to defects and associated delay claims made by the developer's contractor.
- Advising a large contractor client in respect of defective workmanship carried out by its subcontractor.
- Advising a developer in respect of a payment dispute with the main contractor arising from a loss and expense claim.
- Advising a developer on a dispute with the contractor and architect relating to the overvaluation of works carried out on a residential renovation project.
- Advising a Contract Administrator in relation to a payment dispute with the Employer.
- Advising a developer on a dispute with the contractor and professional team relating to defective workmanship and design of student accommodation.
Gemma qualified in 2014, joined Shoosmiths in 2016 having previously worked at DAC Beachcroft as a newly qualified solicitor.