James is a real estate lawyer specialising in commercial development, funding and strategic land. James has particular experience acting for developers in forward funded pre-let developments and on the preparation, servicing and phased disposal of strategic mixed use and residential sites.
His recent experience includes advising:
- a national developer on the acquisition, pre-let and forward funding of a £38 million logistics hub in the West Midlands;
- an international logistics company taking a lease of a purpose-built automated warehousing and office facility at a major new logistics park in the East Midlands;
- a private investment company on securing a long-term option and promotion agreement for a 400 acre strategic development site in Staffordshire;
- a major UK lending institution on an £18 million development and investment facility secured against a portfolio of 34 commercial properties; and
- a West Midlands based property investment vehicle on the £70 million refinancing and redevelopment of a flagship office building in central Birmingham.
James joined Shoosmiths from Wragge & Co (now Gowlings) in 2004 and was made a partner in the firm’s real estate practice in 2012.