James is a real estate lawyer specialising in commercial development, funding and strategic land. James has particular experience acting for developers in forward funded pre-let developments, and on the preparation, servicing and phased disposal of strategic mixed use and residential sites.
James leads our property finance team nationally, acting both for major commercial lenders on property-based funding transactions, and for borrowers seeking funding whether by secured debt or interim development finance.
His recent experience includes advising:
- a national developer on the acquisition, pre-let and forward funding of a £38m logistics hub in the West Midlands;
- an international logistics company taking a lease of a purpose-built automated warehousing and office facility at a major new logistics park in the East Midlands;
- a private investment company on securing a long-term option and promotion agreement for a 400 acre strategic development site in Staffordshire;
- a major UK lending institution on an £18m development and investment facility secured against a portfolio of 34 commercial properties;
- a West Midlands based property investment vehicle on the £70m refinancing and redevelopment of a flagship office building in central Birmingham.
James joined Shoosmiths from Wragge & Co (now Gowlings) in 2004 and was made a partner in the firm’s real estate practice in 2012.