Rebekah is an Associate in the Dispute Resolution team. She advises on a broad range of commercial disputes including contractual disputes, breach of restrictive covenant disputes, corporate warranty claims, fraud, shareholder, director and partnership disputes, professional negligence, ‘passing off’ disputes, agency disputes and injunctive relief.
Rebekah also has a particular interest in media law and has specific expertise from a reputation management perspective, including defamation, privacy, confidence and harassment, acting on behalf of high profile and/or high net worth individuals. She also advises businesses, often in business critical situations which might attract press headlines and impact on reputation and brand. She regularly negotiates and/or liaises with Internet Service Providers and website hosts on behalf of clients regarding the removal of defamatory content published on the internet.
In addition, she has a wealth of experience in respect of phone hacking litigation. Rebekah acts for a significant number of high profile individuals in the sports and entertainment industry progressing claims against various tabloid newspapers.
Recent experience includes:-
- Acting for a European based manufacturer in relation to high value joint venture / partnership dispute.
- Acting in a £1.4m dispute on behalf of an international bank pursuing multiple defendants involving professional negligence claims against different parties, subrogation claims and issues relating to fraud / deceit.
- Acting in injunctive relief proceedings on behalf of a large outsourcing company in respect of breach of restrictive covenants; breaches of fiduciary and statutory duties; diversion of business and secret profit; and breach of contract.
- Acting for a former MP in High Court libel proceedings, including a summary judgment application and subsequent appeal to the Court of Appeal.
- Acting for various high profile / net worth clients in the sports and entertainment industry in respect of ‘phone hacking’ claims in the High Court, which include claims for damages and an injunction.
- Advising an ex-England International football player in an action against Mirror Group.
- Acting for clients pursuing anonymised privacy proceedings, including the seeking of a Norwich Pharmacal Application.
- Advising a client seeking to prevent a leading broadcaster from airing video footage.
- Acting for a leading designer and manufacturer of GT series racing cars in injunction and damages proceedings, in a contractual dispute relating to the design, manufacture and service of racing cars against the well-known vehicle manufacturer McLaren.
- Advising a leading accident management company in a contractual dispute relating to business critical telephone system and licences.
Rebekah trained at Irwin Mitchell and qualified into the Commercial Dispute Resolution team as a solicitor in 2011 before joining Shoosmiths as an Associate in 2015.