Sharon is a medical negligence associate who joined Shoosmiths in May 2016 after having practiced in the field for another midlands based medical negligence firm for over a decade previous.
She is a member of the Law Society Clinical Negligence Panel which demonstrates a high level of knowledge, skill and experience in the area of medical negligence.
Her special interests include kidney, complex neurological, spinal and amputation injuries. These interests have been developed by the numerous medical negligence clients she has successfully represented. She also has experience of dealing with fatality claims as well as claims involving various severe injuries where there were ongoing care and other specialised needs that her clients needed assistance with.
Sharon has further represented many claimants in a wide range of cases including injuries arising from misdiagnosis of fractures and other medical conditions, difficulties during birth, unreasonable delay in diagnosis of different types of cancer, complications of surgery, and a variety of other medical issues.
Sharon has been closely involved in representing a large group of clients who have brought claims against breast surgeon, Ian Paterson, for potentially undertaking unnecessary surgery and surgery that has contravened national guidelines. Sharon settled two of the first cases for the private healthcare clients in this litigation.
Sharon is very dedicated to her work and highly professional in the way she represents clients and this shows in the quality and careful preparation of her cases as well as the amount of compensation she secures for her clients.
Prior to initiating her working career in law, Sharon studied at the College of Law and the University of Birmingham.
- Securing an award of compensation for a 24 year old client for failure to detect kidney damage which later developed into end stage shortly before she sadly passed away. Her family went onto establish a charity in her memory to assist young patients who suffer from kidney failure.
- Securing a significant award for a young man who suffered avoidable kidney failure due to negligence involving a failure to diagnose his condition appropriately.
- Recovering £3.2 million for a lady who suffered a severe neurological injury.
- Forming part of the initial group of lead solicitors in the litigation regarding Birmingham rogue breast surgeon, Ian Paterson.
- Securing an award of compensation of £1.3 million for a client who had an avoidable amputation.
- Representing and securing an admission of liability for a young child who suffers from avoidable Cerebral Palsy.
- Representing and securing an admission of liability for someone who suffered an avoidable above the knee amputation due to negligent treatment of his vascular condition by his GP.
- Representing and securing an admission of liability for the family of a young lady with dependent children who suffered an avoidable aortic aneurysm.
- Representing and successfully securing a six figure sum for the widow and children of a gentleman who sadly passed away in his mid-30’s due to a fatal pulmonary embolism caused by the admitted delay in treating his condition.
Outside of work, Sharon enjoys socialising with friends, going to the gym, charity work and cooking.