Tim has over 20 years of experience in both the private and public sector.
He provides both strategic and site specific planning and compulsory purchase advice to clients in the commercial property, residential and retail/leisure sectors.
Tim has handled many planning inquiries, appeals and High Court challenges and is known for his ability to work within tight deadlines and provide clear, cogent and timely advice.
His experience includes drafting and negotiating complex Section 106/infrastructure agreements delivering large urban and mixed use regeneration developments.
Client project experience includes advising:
- Acting For Fulford Parish Council in relation to a legal "test case" determining the lawful scope for the use of non-material amendments at reserved matters stage;
- Acting for Robert Hitchins Ltd in connection with Tewkesbury District Council's judicial review of "part" of a Section 78 decision letter concerning calculation of 5 year housing land supply figure;
- Advising IM Properties in relation to various High Court and Court of Appeal challenges concerning the Lichfield Local Plan;
- Acting for IM Properties in connection with the first (and successful), Section 78 Appeal to be determined by the Secretary of State following the issue of the Governments White Paper "Fixing Our Broken Housing Market"
- Petitioning against HS2 proposals in Stafford and attendance at HS2 Parliamentary Select Committee. Subsequently negotiating an Agreement with HS2 in order to secure the release of HS2's Holding Direction relating to a strategic housing allocation;
- Acting for Gallagher Estates Ltd in connection with a legal challenge to the Leeds Local Plan;
- Drafting Section 106 Agreement for Next in relation to new retail premises;
- Acting for Cher Varya Group Ltd in connection with a successful Section 78 appeal for new leisure facilities (118 lodges), in Lichfield;
- Acting for Worcestershire County Council on various Section 106 Agreements;
- Retained by Tendring District Council on a suite of Section 106 Agreements.
Tim joined Shoosmiths in 2007 and has been a partner since 2012.
Tim is a Legal Associate of the Royal Town Planning Institute and a Member of the Law Society's Planning Panel. He contributes legal articles to various publications including the Planner and Planning Magazine. and has appeared as a panel member at various Estate Gazette events.