Vaqas Farooq is a Real Estate partner at Shoosmiths to which he brings in-depth knowledge and insight through almost two decades of experience advising developers, occupiers, local authorities and investors on schemes across the UK.
Recent projects he has led include:
- the acquisition, development and pre-letting of Allied London's No. 1 Spinningfields Development in Manchester over the four year period, a joint venture with Manchester City Council culminating in the sale to Schroder Real Estate for £200 million;
- advising an FTSE 250 leisure company on the management and optimisation of its estate since 2000;
- acting on a range of major commercial portfolio acquisitions and disposals;
- pioneering a number of innovative approaches in the Build to Rent sector where he advised on deals valued at £1.2 billion; and
- working with a number of local authorities in relation to several regeneration projects particularly in town centres. He also advises on the strategic elements of such projects from conception to procurement options to ultimate completion.
Vaq is well-known in the legal market for his commercial approach and driving innovation into structures to help unlock viability and streamline developments and investment trading. A strong leader, he has successfully built and motivated new teams and helped open up new markets.
In the 2019 Legal 500, Vaqas Farooq is commended for his “knowledge, drive and contacts” and Chambers UK describe him as “a specialist in development matters, who acts on many of the largest urban regeneration projects across the UK and represents a number of regional and national developers”.