Joe is a Partner specialising in IT, technology and sourcing transactions.
He has a particular focus on large scale and complex IT projects, regularly advising national and international companies on high profile system implementation and integration projects.
Joe also regularly advises both customers and suppliers on day-to-day IT transactional matters, as well as transformational outsourcings (ITO, BPO or FMO) in both an onshore and offshore environment.
Joe has helped establish Shoosmiths’ IT and technology team as one of the leading practices in the country (ranked Band 1 (Legal 500) and one of only 9 practices in the country recognised as a “National Leader outside London” (Chambers UK)). The team is noted as a “celebrated alternative to City firms with the resources to take complex, high-value instructions, mainly from well-known corporate purchasers of services but also from global IT suppliers and consultancies” (Chambers UK 2017).
Joe is consistently ranked as a leading individual in IT by both Legal 500 and Chambers UK being described as having “a really good head on his shoulders and a sensible pragmatic approach. He is known for his deep interest in technology matters, with experience in working on matters for clients across many sectors” (Chambers 2017).
Joe’s recent transactions include advising:
- a major telecommunication provider on its £100million+ procurement of a state-of-the art, greenfield IT system;
- a global automotive manufacturer on various IT projects, including the implementation of its cloud knowledge repository for its entire UK dealership and repairer network and various IT supply arrangements for the establishment of its first transactional website;
- a FTSE 100 company on its multi-million pound global procurement and roll-out of a new CRM system involving various Tier 1 suppliers;
- one of the world's largest multinational brewing companies on various IT projects, including the design, development and deployment of a pan-European e-commerce platform and procurement of image recognition technology to improve in-store execution and audits;
- a FTSE 250 bank in relation to the procurement of its back-office and eSignature platform to be used across its entire motor and premium finance business;
- a well-known UK regulatory body on its single largest IT project in its history involving the multi-million pound replacement of its entire IT environment;
- a FTSE 250 leisure and entertainment company on its multi-million pound replacement of its EPOS system across its entire estate, comprising over 1,700 units nationwide;
- a FTSE 250 multinational events and publishing company on the offshoring of core digital business processes and the establishment of an offshore captive service centre; and
- a leading academic publishing house on various projects, including the first generation outsourcing of its 400 year old printing function and the BPO of its global finance function to an offshore provider.