Joe is a Partner specialising in IT, technology and sourcing transactions.
He has a particular focus on large scale and complex IT projects, regularly advising national and international companies on high profile system implementation and integration projects.
Joe also regularly advises both customers and suppliers on day-to-day IT transactional matters, as well as other transformational outsourcings (ITO, BPO or FMO) in both an onshore and offshore environment.
Joe has helped establish Shoosmiths’ IT and Technology team as one of the leading practices in the country (ranked Band 1 by Legal 500 and Chambers UK Guide) and is one of only 9 practices in the country recognised as a “National Leader outside London” (Chambers UK Guide 2020). The team is noted as a “Thriving team that draws on a wealth of expertise to handle the complete range of IT matters and represents a fine choice for clients....Noted for its deep bench of solicitors with experience across a wide array of complex IT projects." (Chambers UK Guide 2020).
Joe is consistently ranked as a leading individual in IT by leading legal directories - Legal 500 and Chambers UK Guide - being described as having “the perfect balance of deep legal expertise, extensive subject area knowledge and strong negotiation and relationship-building skills” (Chambers UK Guide 2020).
Joe’s recent transactions include advising:
- a major telecommunication provider on its £200million+ procurement of a state-of-the art, greenfield IT system;
- a global automotive manufacturer on various IT projects, including the implementation of its cloud knowledge repository for its entire UK dealership and repairer network and procuring critical IT systems for the launch of 1st gen "on Demand" mobility services;
- one of the world's largest banks on the procurement of critical IT systems and infrastructure for the operation of its new motor lending business;
- a FTSE 100 company on its multi-million pound global procurement and roll-out of a new CRM system involving various Tier 1 suppliers;
- one of the world's largest multinational brewing companies on various IT projects, including the design, development and deployment of a pan-European e-commerce platform and procurement of image recognition technology to improve in-store execution and audits;
- a global automotive manufacture on its outsourcing of its UK call centre, involving a full transformation program for the introduction AI and chat bots;
- a well-known UK regulatory body on its single largest IT project in its history involving the multi-million pound replacement of its entire IT environment;
- a FTSE 250 leisure and entertainment company on its multi-million pound replacement of its EPOS system across its entire estate, comprising over 1,700 units nationwide;
- a FTSE 250 multinational events and publishing company on the offshoring of core digital business processes and the establishment of an offshore captive service centre; and
- a leading academic publishing house on various projects, including the first generation outsourcing of its 400 year old printing function and the BPO of its global finance function to an offshore provider.